Thursday, July 9, 2009

Opening my eyes

Today I was at the gym working out and feeling sorry for myself...good combination. After a while, I noticed a man running on the treadmill in front of me. He was wearing plaid pajama pants up to his chest, with a ratty old tshirt tucked in. I would said he was about 35 or 40 years old.
I was immediately drawn to him because of his "interesting" choice in fashion.
But as I looked closer, I noticed that he didn't have much control of his neck and body parts, and was hanging on for dear life to the machine, while at the same time he was running probably about 6.0 mph (faster than me!!). I was intrigued by this man, and I kept watching him. He leaned over once and asked the lady next to him how many minutes he had been going on the treadmill. This was weird to me-couldn't he see the big red numbers on his machine?! It was not only until he hopped off the machine, and grabbed his cane that I realized that he was blind, along with other physical difficulties.
A blind man. At the gym. Now that's a first.
**
My eyes followed him as he found his way to the ab machine, the water fountain, and eventually to the front door. It amazed me that a blind man would have the conviction to work out at a public gym. Or work out at all.
**
What if I were blind? Would I be brave enough to do that? I have often wondered what I would be like if I was faced with severe handicaps. Part of me is scared that I would listen to what people say-that I wouldn't try to defy the odds. Or would I? Would I be like my blind friend today at the gym who probably has listened to a million people tell him that he's crazy for adventuring out like this, but he set his mind to it, and proved them all wrong.
**
This whole experience made me smile as I related it to the situation I'm in now with Ryan and his mission. I have heard plenty of people's warnings. "Don't waste your time. Lower your expectations. You'll never make it. He won't love you when he gets back. Just forget about him. 2 years is a loooong time."
**

I am determined to prove them all wrong.

**
This is an important lesson for me, and others all the time. To forget the "theories" you have in your mind, and focus on your own situation. How you feel. What you think. YOU know your own capabilities and capacities. No matter the odds, because of course they are just silly numbers, anyone can do anything with a little love, faith, and confidence.
**
Thank you, blind friend, for opening my eyes, inspiring me to stay determined, and filling me with gratitude for my sense of sight.

5 comments:

Brianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brianne said...

I deleted my FIRST response to this, I said some angry comments (not directed towards you at all) and decided to try and reword. Here goes:

Who is saying that to you, those assinine assumptions that it won't work or he won't love you?? Not that you asked, but my advice is write him often, encourage him to endure to the end, ask about inspiring stories, and read the scriptures every day so that when he comes home, you can moderately hold your own next to his incredible testimony. Blessings come to those who love and support missionaries.

The Nielsen Family said...

What a cool story and INSPIRING man!! We can all use an inspiration like that in our lives.

HeidiLynn said...

I love you! Hope you're doing well!

Lauren said...

Hey Whit!! This is something I needed to hear. Thanks for posting it! P.S. I Love your blog!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed