My heart misses India today.
The sights, the sounds, the people. I miss that day where I walked into a run down hospital room filled with leprosy patients lined up on beds with hanging heads. I miss the feeling I got when I sang to them, and was filled with an instant and overwhelming love that brought me to so many tears that I couldn't go on. I miss walking out of that room seeing smiles and hearing clapping hands.
I miss interacting with the leprosy patients. I miss their cute Indian accents greeting me with an Indian hello [vannakam]. I miss holding their hands, most of which had been worn down to simply nubs and knuckles. I miss washing their feet and looking into their eyes.
I miss going on drives through the "downtown" and seeing the dirty, busy streets that used to gross me out. I miss buying goods off the streets and feeling pretty proud of myself when I got a water bottle for 50 cents.
Oh do I ever miss the kids--with their unconditional love and cheerfulness that brightened some of my toughest days. I miss their laughs, their "auntie" calls and their tiny hands that would wrap around my own. I miss their brown eyes and white teeth and gorgeous faces that I loved to hold in my hands.
I miss being hot and not having air conditioning (oh wait..just kidding..definitely don't miss that).
Most of all I just miss the tender feelings that I constantly felt over there. I miss having my heart softened and being exposed to a place with so much need.
I left my heart in India!




4 comments:
Beautiful Whitney - what a wonderful experience to share God's love with his children in India. I am sure you will never forget what you learned. Writing on your blog is a great way to share with all of us. Thanks - my heart was been touched too!
Okay - so this is Aunt Lisa not Lauren. Duh!
whit, you said this so much better than i could have. and i agree full heartedly with you. i miss everything about india!
This just touched my little heart!! love love love it
Post a Comment