The past two days have been filled with working with the kids at the school that's on the same campus as us.
The kids here are SO full of energy of love and it is normal for them to climb all over us...and pinch our cheeks... and jump on our backs..but while trying to get someone's blood pressure or while checking their reflexes...ummm, no bueno. We did this for 6 hours. SIX HOURS of changing from a playmate to no-more-mister-nice-guys-we-mean-business. Plus, every half hour the stupid bell would ring for a 10 minute recess, also known as 10 minutes of hell for us. A mass confusion of children in line for their physicals started to mix in with the mass confusion of the hundreds of kids coming out to play. GAHHH!!!! It was SO crazy. I wish I had my camera to video it. Just imagine a tornado and an earthquake and a hurricane...all at the same time. By the end of the day we wanted punch a kid and rip out our hair.
Yet surprisingly, I had fun.
Yes, I was exhausted. But the kids bring so much energy and happiness with them that it's contagious.
Plus! I felt like such a little nurse.
Part of getting a child to cooperate is giving them a chance to learn what you're doing.
The girl directly to my left is Mageeshwari. She is my little princess! I just adore her. Last night I was reading her a story and mid-sentence she fell asleep in my lap. I about died from the cuteness.
****
Today was another day of chaos with the kiddos, except we got payback because it was vaccination time!!!!!! I know it sounds cruel, but we were so excited to stick those little stinkers after the crazy day yesterday, haha.
No more Mrs. Nice Nurse
The kids were scared to death of us (or so they acted--so dramatic!) In order to maintain some kind of order, we locked them in rooms until it was their turn, then we'd open the door and try to snag somebody. After a while this turned into a game and the kids would hide anywhere they could-under the shelves, on top of the shelves, under the beds...we had to do some climbing and grabbing and yelling. They acted totally scared but it was such a game. Please don't charge me with child abuse.
It was not my idea. They secretly liked it.
Us trying to snatch us some victims...I mean...children.
This is where I prepared a bunch of vaccinations. And yes, that's a sewing machine in the middle of my work space...a sewing machine? I don't even know... that's India for you. Definitely not the sterile technique we're used to back in the states. Do what ya gotta do.
Our instructor Karen being the gate keeper for the crazy animals
Mean shot ladies
We got to join the kids for lunch after we shot them up (trying to make amends..ya know?)
I found lunch to be the most interesting spectacle. The kids would just sprawl out on the hard cement with these pans of food, and eat with their hands. Very cultural and very interesting! And sorta gross...but once again, that's India for ya!
This is just a cute girl with a shaved head.
Tomorrow we get the day off at a beach. Count me in baby! I'm pooped!
PS) Thank you for all the sweet comments...your support is amazing and MUCH needed!
XOXO
3 comments:
All I can say is that you are such a cutie Whit! I'm proud to claim you as family. Keep up the good work and have fun at the beach!
Sounds like you deserve a day at the beach!! What an incredible time with the kids! LOVE reading your blog! :D
Wowee, how exhausting. I remember the first time I saw my India Grandma eat with her hands, I was in shock. You just don't see adults eat like that, but like you said it's culturally how it's done. i even got to the point where I started eating with my hands more when I ate with her. Are you liking the Indian food?
Post a Comment