I'm feeling a little picture happy today. It has been a saweeeet weekend!
Friday night I played "catcher"...aka tag... with these 3 little hooligans: Naveen, Michael-Raj, and Madhavan. Everyday from 4:30-6:00 we have "playtime" with the kids. Yes, it's hot. Yes, it's crazy. Sometimes I dred going because it's exhausting, but I always leave playtime feeling like a million bucks.
On Friday these 3 guys would pester me to death about "catching" them. Just look at those faces, how could you say no to them? They literally are so adorable, I can't say no. And I'm really good at saying no, so that's saying something. I also got the impression while I was playing that this time with the kids is their only time for one on one attention. Yeah it may be annoying when they are constantly all over you, but they don't have parents around to give them this kind of attention. I am their first line attempt at love and it would be selfish of me to deny them that.
Another thing I love about the kids is that they are so resourceful. They don't have access to ANYTHING electronic. It's refreshing. They freak out when I bring a flashlight over to them, they think it's the coolest thing in the world. But they'll play jacks with rocks instead of playing video games and draw pictures in the sand instead of on paper with invisible markers. It's amazing how much of an imagination these kids have, and it's a little sad how much technology can take away from that kind of innocence.
Friday night one of the house mothers whipped out her henna and started going to town on my arm. It was so cool!!!! It looks like chocolate frosting when it goes on. You let it dry for an hour, then you have to scrub it off and the orange-y design stays for a couple weeks! I felt so cultured after this. I love India!
Fresh henna
after you let it dry and scrub it off
Saturday was our first day off. It was sooo wonderful.
We got dropped off at this little village about 2 hours away called Mammalpuram. There was some killer shopping there and some ancient Hindu temples that dated back to the 600's!
Here's a picture in front of one of the temples. I love the elephant! I also love the wooden scaffolding...I felt like I was going back in time.
After we shopped until we were soaking wet with sweat, we hit up a beach resort called "Ideal Beach" that was down the street from the temples/shopping. I think it's name describes it perfectly.
We got to swim in the Indian Ocean...and by swim I mean barely get our feet wet. The waves were insane & one kid got stung by a jellyfish while another girl had some snake wrap around her leg. All while just dipping our feet in!!!! Nice to meet ya Indian Ocean, but I'll see ya later...
Picture perfect
I ordered a coconut thinking there would be some fun juice inside. Nope, it was coconut water. That's India for ya. Gross.
Welcome to the good life.
The beach resort not only had a beach, but a pool too that was amazing!!! We only got to spend a few hours getting our sun on, but it was definitely enough. The sun in India is way more intense than us whitey tighty Americans are used to.
On the way home we stopped at this little hole in the wall (who am I kidding, everything is a hole in the wall in India) for some pirrota?? No idea how you spell it.
Basically it was a mix between a tortilla and a croissant. Plus an onion omelet and some amazing curry sauces. Oh and can't forget that mango juice which is all the rage over here and for good reason-it's delicious. Best dinner ever! I am surprised with how much I love Indian food. The best part? All of that was a little over a dollar.
I have to pee all the time so I have found the most interesting toilets...this toilet was on the side of a freeway and it's door did not close completely. Plus it smelled like rotting flesh. Fun times!
Sunday we went to church in Chennai again (2 hours away).
I got to wear a traditional chudidar & I felt totally Indian. PS) They are the most comfortable things in the world. I'm starting a new trend back in the states!
Church is in the basement of this creepy crawly building in the middle of the busy city. This picture was taken right outside the front door. Looks..nice.....haha that's India for ya.
On the drive home we saw monkeys up in the rafters of a toll station!! I about died. I also saw a monkey scale a wall yesterday. Oh, and some guy was driving his truck around with a huge elephant in the back. Once again...that's India for ya. I love it.
I think one of the hardest things for me here is figuring out the difference between being true to yourself and how you really feel versus pushing through and stretching yourself. I think maybe that's a constant battle we'll face our whole lives. Anybody else have that issue? I'll let ya know when I figure it out. Probably when I'm 90.
PS) Just because I'm in India doesn't mean I don't think about my favorite boy...who, bytheway, comes home in THREE WEEKS.
Part of me wants to scream in excitement. Another part of me wants to throw up. And then there's another part of me that wants to hide in a corner. And finally, part of me wants to give him a big wet one (after he's released, of course). Can you say basketcase?
4 comments:
You are learning such incredible lessons. I read about some of the things you have to say, and I am in awe. The pushing and stretching thing - a constant, and the areas we have to stretch are ever changing. Yes, we need to be ourselves, but there is always a better version of ourselves that we can become. You're awesome!! Love you and I'd say I miss you (cause I do), but I love reading about your experiences too much to want you to come home yet. :)
girrll I got a henna tattoo too! though basically it is a child's play version of what you got! mine says trust in arabic on my wrist.. but i got it from a white man in brighton beach in england and had to pay for it... so not quite as legit... ;)
Keep the pictures coming. I love to travel, and this way I can travel vicariously through you. You are amazing girl!
Wow Whitney! I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog. I started reading and I just couldn't stop. Thanks for sharing the lessons you are learning. Treasure those kids and people and your feelings in India. they will be such a strength to you forever! You are amazing! Here is a story that reminded me of what you said: ps. LOVE YOU!
God's Arms
Wishing to encourage her young son's progress on the piano, a mother took the small boy to a Paderewski concert. After they were seated, the mother spotted a friend in the audience and walked down the aisle to greet her.
Seizing the opportunity to explore the wonders of the concert hall, the little boy rose and eventually explored his way through a door marked "NO ADMITTANCE."
When the house lights dimmed and the concert was about to begin, the mother returned to her seat and discovered that her son was missing.
Suddenly, the curtains parted and spotlights focused on the impressive Steinway on stage. In horror, the mother saw her little boy sitting at the keyboard, innocently picking out "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."
At that moment, the great piano master made his entrance, quickly moved to the piano, and whispered in the boy's ear, "Don't quit. Keep playing." Then leaning over, Paderewski reached down with his left hand and began filling in a bass part. Soon his right arm reached around to the other side of the child and he added a running obligatio. Together, the old master and the young novice transformed a frightening situation into a wonderfully creative experience. The audience was mesmerized.
That's the way it is with God. What we can accomplish on our own is hardly noteworthy. We try our best, but the results aren't exactly graceful flowing music. But with the hand of the Master, our life's work truly can be beautiful. The next time you set out to accomplish great feats, listen carefully. You can hear the voice of the Master, whispering in your ear, "Don't quit. Keep playing." Feel His loving arms around you. Know that His strong hands are playing the concerto of your life.
Remember, God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. He turns your twinkle-twinkle little star efforts into beautiful practiced masterpieces.
-Author Unknown
Post a Comment